INDUSTRIAL SOFT SEPARATION
Principle of Soft Separation Technology
Careful product extraction or processing through the separation of hard and soft parts is becoming increasingly popular in various sectors of the food processing industry.
Let’s begin by explaining how the separation process works:
The product is introduced into the separator, and a flexible crushing belt takes it through a perforated drum. By means of adjustable mechanical pressure, the soft parts pass through the perforations of the drum while the hard parts (nerves, sinew, cartilage, bones, etc.) remain on the outside of the drum and are removed with a scraper.
In BAADER soft separators for example, a toothed chain powered by a geared motor is used to move a squeezing belt which transports the product to a perforated drum and squeezes the soft components through the perforation, while the solid particles remain outside of the drum. An adjustable cylinder and pressure roller allows users to adjust the yield/quality ratio. Baadering is the process of using a Baader separator to produce Baader meat or Baader mince.
Soft separator technology allows us to obtain a product that is free of nerves, skin, gristle, cartilage and bones, always maintaining the structure of the fibre in both meat, poultry, fish as well as various other products.
Various sized perforated drums are available with different perforation measures which guarantee optimum results and can generally be changed in just a few minutes. Hole sizes tend to be 1.0mm, 2.0mm, 2.3mm, 3.0mm, 4.0mm, 5.0mm, 7.0mm, 8.0mm and 10.0mm.
Turn Cost into Profit through Product Recovery - Adding Value
Achieving the most economical and efficient use of the product being processed is of growing importance in the food industry. Achieving a consistently high product quality with minimal waste is key in increasing consumer demand.
In the business of meat and poultry processing for example, capturing as much high-spec meat and minimizing reject material is a way to make the most of the meat being processed.
Separators offer a unique solution for removing unwanted solid components from the end product. Various brands (which we will explore further below in this article) offer highly effective separating / deboning solutions varying in size to adapt to the processors' volume requirements for gently refining a high range of various deboned meat and poultry parts while maximising yield. These include shoulder, trimmings, shanks, belly, belly flap, deboned turkey and chicken drumsticks, chicken wishbones, liver or skin and so many more.
Soft separators allow the processor to automatically remove and further process residual meat while protecting both the resource texture and the valuable nutrients to preserve the highest possible meat quality.
Furthermore, there are several versions of industrial separators from the most basic with manual feeding to fully automatic separators.
Soft separation technology can turn costs into profit by way of refeeding valuable products back into the process and by capturing value-adding co-products.
Industrial Separator Applications
Soft separation is a highly efficient and automated process with relatively low running costs that can be utilized for unlimited applications to deliver high-quality products from previously discharged resources, some of which we will now look at.
Let us now explore how industrial separator technology can be utilized and applied across the various food processing industries.
- Separating meat and bone – Chicken, Turkey, Pork.
- Pressing the unwanted water out of the skin, for example from chicken skin, delivering skin that can be used as a base for other end products
- Soft separation of nerves – Beef, Pork
- Separating sausages from their casings
- Soft separation of fish bones, skin and fins to produce fish meal and mince etc
- Soft separation of plastic and organic product packaging
- Soft separation of fruit skin, peel, pulp and stones from fruit - this process can even extend to the parting of purée and juice from fruit as well as vegetables. Standardization of fruit and vegetable products is necessary to comply with permissible guide values for connective tissue and to provide reproducible results. Manual removal of leaves, seeds and peel is time-consuming and inaccurate.
- The recovery of packaged products for recycling. In many stages of food production, rejected material generation is often unavoidable when organic and inorganic materials are being mixed. Liquids in composite packaging can quickly generate high tonnages. Utilizing the BAADER soft separation process for example, not only can new products be created, but plastics can be recycled and organic materials can be composted or used for biogas, animal feed, etc., or indeed put back into production.
- Separators have also proved particularly successful for depackaging carton packages such as TetraPak with any contents. Milk, yoghurt, juice or soups can be completely removed from the package.
- Separating cheese from packaging.
LEADING INDUSTRIAL SEPARATOR BRANDS
- STORK PROTECON
- HIGH TECH
Video showing Baader 601 for fish meat recovery
WHAT CAN BOYD INTERNATIONAL OFFER YOU?
At Boyd International, we offer all brands of used / pre-owned industrial soft separators to the global food processing industry at a fraction of the new cost. We offer a highly economic alternative to incorporating a brand-new machine in your process. Our team of highly skilled expert engineers thoroughly and meticulously check the components and refurbish any separator to ensure the processor gets the highest quality machine that will last without the new price tag.
SEPARATORS AVAILABLE NOW
SEPAMATIC 4000 SEPARATOR
Available as part of a Skaginn 3X Fish Frame Mincing Line – comprising of:
Sepamatic 4000 Separator – 2.3mm drum
Washing Drums for mince
Mince De-watering Press
Mince Portion and Packaging Machines
SEPAMATIC 1200 T
Supplied with either 5mm or 3mm drum.
Device is equipped with a product feeding sensor.
Capacity: Can process up to 2500 kg per hour (depending on product, size of drum and method of feeding).
SEPAMATIC 4000V SEPARATOR
Capacity of up to 10.000 kg/h depending on raw material and perforated drum size.
BAADER 601 SEPARATOR
Ideal for small capacities, this separator is ideal for desinewing from precut red meat, poultry and fish, puree and fruit production from fruit and vegetables and depackaging of small packages.
Capacity of up to 800kg per hour of raw material.
BAADER guarantees highest yield and a superior quality.
BAADER 603 SEPARATOR
Baader 603 is used for separating raw meat material from waste components such as cartilage, veins, skin and bone.
This machine can refine various raw products: fillet with or without skin, strips of pinbone and trimmings.
Capacity of up to 2200kg of raw material per hour.
BAADER 699 BONE SEPARATOR
The Baader 699 uses the same principle as the Baader 694 and 697 but with a much higher throughput. It is a further development of Baader 695.
Variable speed with raw material capacities from 1800kgs - 3000kg per hour
Other Baader Models
- Baader 600 Separator – capacity up to 400kg/ hour
- Baader 694 Separator – capacity up to 500 kg / hour
- Baader 697 Separator – capacity up to 1200 kg / hour
- Baader 604 Separator – capacity up to 1500kg / hour
- Baader 605 Separator – capacity up to 3500kg / hour
- Baader 607 Separator – capacity up to 5000kg / hour
- Baader 608 Separator – capacity up to 2200kg / hour
- SEPAmatic 1200 Separator – capacity up to 2000 kg / hour
- SEPAmatic 1400 Separator - capacity up to 3000 kg / hour
- SEPAmatic 2000 Separator – capacity up to 4000 kg / hour
- SEPAmatic 3000 Separator – capacity up too 8000 kg / hour
Note that capacities depend on raw material and perforated drum size.